If you have a Silhouette machine and haven’t quite figured out how to trace objects or shapes you find on the internet then this tutorial is for you. This will go through the steps of taking an image and tracing it to be able to cut it out in your Silhouette studio program.
1. I ended up downloading the Varsity Regular font from dafont.com and designing the actual stretched lettering in Open Office Writer but Microsoft Word has the same stretch type feature in their Word Art function.
2. I changed the paper size in Open Office Writer to 12” x 30” and then used the Fontworks (a.k.a “Word Art” function in Microsoft Word) feature to spell out “Austin” and make it stretched to look like a pennant.
3. Click once on the font to change the shape to the pennant shape.
4. Next I used my snipping tool and snipped the entire word and pasted it into my Silhouette Studio program.
5. Then in my Silhouette studio program I clicked the “trace” button. Then I clicked “select trace area” and made a square around the entire Austin. Then I clicked “trace outer edge”. Then I was able to remove the trace from the copied font from Open Office.
6. As you can see everything was traced but the inside of the “A”. Now I could go back in and trace the middle part of the A but it was just as easy to use the “line” function to trace the little triangle and then move it to my cut out Austin and group them together.
7. I deleted my copied Austin so I just had the red cut out. Next I changed my paper size to a 12” x 30” and drew two lines in the shape of the pennant so I could get the gist of the spacing on my felt banner. Then I adjusted the font larger to space it on my pennant.
8. Once spaced correctly I deleted the pennant lines and changed the paper size back to 12” x 12”. Now the Austin doesn’t fit in a 12” x 12” space.
8. You will have to cut out your letters on two separate sheets of 12” x 12” paper. If you just move your letters inside the 12” x 12” area it will just cut those. Then move your letters over to cut the rest.
Cut #1 (cut out the A, U, S)
Cut # 2 (cut out the T, I, N)
And there you have your cut out letters to then trace onto felt to make the personalized pennant. I will show you the actual tutorial for the pennant tomorrow.
Don’t have a Silhouette machine? Now through today only you can purchase the new Silhouette Cameo and a Heat Transfer Starter Kit for $269.99 using the code “IHEARTIC”. Or you can get 40% off all heat transfer if you already own a Silhouette machine.