I had to LOL when I read Lee Ann’s comment on Trish’s blog today. It is like she knew I was going to post this. DO NOT THROW THOSE OLD CRAYONS AWAY LEE ANN I HAVE A USE FOR THEM… or just stick them in the mail to me and I will reuse them. 😀 Okie dokie here is my dealio. Isaac is learning to color but he keeps breaking all the crayons. I was over at my friend Amanda’s house and she had these cool crayons called Silky Crayons. They were crayons in what appeared to be a glue stick container. But of course why buy them when you can make them? (At this point some of you are thinking why make them when you can buy them).
So it got my brain a-thinking. I had left over glue sticks from when I taught classes in Hawaii (yes I know I keep everything). If I melted those down and put them in empty glue stick containers Isaac wouldn’t break the crayons. So I set out to do just that. Here is how I did it.
1. I took two crayons that were similiar shades and pealed the wrapper off of them and broke them all and put them in a dixie cup to melt in the microwave.
2. I cleaned out the glue sticks with any excess glue. I wasn’t too particular about getting all the glue out because he will never use all that crayon and get down to the glue part anyway. Then I made sure all the glue sticks were twisted all the way down so I could pour the melted crayon in the glue stick.
3. I then microwaved the crayons for 3-4 minutes.
4. After melted, I stirred them and then filled the glue stick with melted crayon almost to the top. After it hardens a little there is a hole in the middle from the crayon condensing.
5. So then I remelt the remaining crayon mess and pour a little more all the way to the top of the glue stick and then I let it harden. It will look like this…
Now Shannon from EightCrazy can probably design a super cool label to put on each of the glue sticks (hint! hint!) but right now mine just have the old label on it. So then I got to thinking even more. Uh oh! How am I going to store these babies? So I had to make a little holder for it. I had no pattern so I kind of “winged” it. It didn’t work as well as I had planned but it is good enough.
- I cut out two pieces of 8″ x 14″ fabric. I then pinned ribbon in place so I could tie the holder together when complete. I carefully put the other piece of fabric on top with right sides together.
Then I stiched all the way around leaving an opening to turn the fabric right side out.
I turned it right side out and tucked the opening closed and then top stiched around the whole rectangle.
I folded the bottom part up about 2 1/2″ and stiched the left and right side to make a big pocket. Then I marked every 1 1/2″ and pinned and stitched those for the holes to store the sticks in. I made a mistake on mine and didn’t make the fabric 8″ x 14″ in the beginning so I have a small hole at the end that I guess I will store a pencil in. Oopsie.
After I finished it I realized Isaac could wear it as well. He thought it was so cool to have his new crayons under his big fat belly.
Here’s what it looked like finished (minus the pencil).
And here it is all rolled up. This will be nice to take into restaurants. The crayons they give you at restuarants seem to be the cheapest ones out there and they break way too easy as well.