I have seen plaid everywhere this season. It seems like this classic pattern is showing up in a big way in home decor in 2014. I hope it continues on in 2015 as it is fun to work with – and WEAR! I paired it with some natural wood elements and I have a great looking pillow for that neutral chair or white bedding. Even better this is a basic sewing project since it is just an envelope style pillow cover.
home decor solid cream
drill and small drill bit
For a 12” x 16” pillow cut your plaid 12 1/2” x 7 1/4”. Then cut your cream home decor fabric (2) 12 1/2” x 10”, 12 1/2” by 3 1/2” and 12 1/2” x 6 1/2”.
1. To begin iron your interfacing to the back of the plaid fabric so that it is stable enough for the weight of the wood slice buttons.
2. Cut all your fabric pieces and then sew your plaid in the middle to the two shorter pieces of cream home decor fabric. Press and top stitch.
3. Trim down to 12 1/2” x 16 1/2”.
4. Next mark your button holes and then drill them using a bit large enough for your needle to get through.
5. Mark where you want your buttons to go on the plaid and then hand sew them on with a needle and thread.
6. Prepare the back of your envelope pillow. Press under both of 12 1/2” x 10” pieces a 1/2” and then another 1/2”. Sew.
7. With right sides together pin your back in place and then sew a 1/4” seam all the way around your pillow.
8. Clip your corners and turn right side out.
9. Slip your pillow form inside.
Plaid just screams cozy and warm. It makes me want to cuddle with a blanket and sit by a fire sipping hot cocoa.
The wood slice embellishment gives it that rustic natural feel that is so on trend right now.
Click here to see more wood slice ideas…
Disclaimer: This project was sponsored by Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. All ideas and opinions are my own.