Today I wanted to show you another one of my infamous Hershey Kiss Boards, this one just in time for summer.
Those little sun faces are actually inverted Hershey Kisses. Kids love them, guests love them, and I have been known to snag a few myself. Let’s get started.
3/4 drill bit
220 grit sandpaper
12” x 12” x 1/2” MDF board
Coordinating scrapbook paper
White cardstock (2 pieces)
Foam brush or roller
Spray paint (I used Krylon’s Ocean Breeze)
1. Cut your 1/2” MDF board to a 12” x 12” size. (or have Home Depot cut it like I always do). Measure out where you want your kisses. This is where you will drill your holes. Using a 3/4” drill bit and en electric drill — drill your holes but do not go all the way through the board. The top of the bit will poke through the back but don’t drill the wide part of the bit more than 2/3 of the way. This will allow the Hershey kisses to set in there and stay. This is what the bit looks like. I am sure there is a name for it but I have no idea.
2. Mark your holes and then drill them. I measured every 1 and 6/16” and then drilled my holes. This allowed me to have 8 holes across and 2 rows of them for a total of 16 kisses.
3. Lightly sand the board with 220 grit sandpaper especially around the holes. Wipe it clean. Spray prime and paint it. I used Krylon’s Ocean Breeze.
4. Cut four 1/2” x 12” strips of paper and Mod Podge those to the sides. I used American Crafts Hello Sunshine Gleam.
5. Using a Silhouette machine print and cut out the Sunbursts and then glue them around the drilled holes.
5. Then using the Silhouette machine again print and cut out the smiley faces onto white cardstock and use Glue Dots to adhere them to the back of your Hershey Kisses.
6. Cut out the word “sun-kissed” using any font you want. I used Chunk Five and cut it out of American Crafts Secret Garden Pearl. Glue those to the board.
7. Cut out the some white vinyl and transfer it to the board. Then lightly coat the entire board and sides with Mod Podge. I use a foam roller to get an even coat with no lap marks.
7. Add your smiley face Hershey Kisses and set it on an easel (I got mine from the Dollar Tree).
My kids love this and having one kiss feels like such a treat to them, and me!
If you want to make this project click here for all the files. I have Silhouette machine files and PDF files for those without a Silhouette machine.
Click below to see more of my kiss boards.
If you would like to purchase the vinyl for my Hershey Kiss Boards it is now available through Say it on the Wall.
That is so freakin cute!!!!! 🙂 I love it!!! Great job!
This is adorable! Going on the list of things to make.
This Kisses Plaque is so cute. I love it. Thanks for sharing.
Love all of these! Bookmarked your blog so that I can catch up on reading about your craftiness!
BTW – you might want to check your free file link for the ultrasound. My virus software said it was an attack on my computer–I was able to open a few of the other w/o problems.
Adorable!! I love the Ocean Breeze color. 🙂 Looks fantastic. 🙂
It is so cute! Thank you for sharing the pdf file! Have you thought of making one for Thanksgiving, Christmas & a snowman?
This is just too cute!
This is such an awesome idea. My problem would be that no kisses would make it into the board!
Too cute! Love this idea! I think that bit is called a spade bit or paddle bit. Thanks for sharing.
How cute!!! I’m constantly amazed by your crafty talent! Wish I had one of those drilly things now! Too bad Father’s Day has just passed. The drilly thing would’ve been a good gift for my hubby! 🙂
Wow what a great idea. this is so cool for the summer.
I’m just not this creative! Wish you would sell these on Etsy!!!!
Pssshhh….of course! 😉
This is too cute! I love the summer-y color palette you used. I don’t know what that tool is called either. 🙂
The sweetest summer craft EVER!
I’d love for you to share this at my link party…
Heck yah.. I am making a STICKER for you!
This could not be cuter…. I love it!!!
So Adorable…and happy!!! Definitely would bring joy to the room.
O this would be awesome for an advent calendar for Christmas. Thanks for the idea and sharing. I love your sunkissed one.
Oh I am all over it don’t you worry.