Roadkill Rescued Hutch

I got this hutch from a rental house where the tenants had been evicted and left a bunch of stuff behind. This was heading for the trash can when I came along and snatched it up.  The old parquet doors definitely dated the piece.  But with a little vision, paint and fabric this beauty now sits in my loft holding all of our board games.

This is a repost from February of 2010

IMG_1298DSC_2554

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was missing a knob and the top part of the hutch had chunks of wood missing. Plus it was ugly! Nothing screams “I want my MTV!” like parquet. Can we say 1982?!?! In order to hide the missing chunks I got the brilliant idea to cover it with paint sticks. It was a “use-what-I-have-kinda-day,” and they were a decent height to cover up the unsightly missing chunks.

IMG_1483

    

I cut it to size and sanded off the writing.

  IMG_1484

IMG_1485

Then using some brad nails I attached it to the hutch. I added some wood filler to hide the nail holes and the edge. After painted, you wouldn’t even know there was a train wreck behind it.

IMG_1493

I gave the whole piece a lighting sanding with 180 grit sandpaper. Then I taped it all up and gave it a fresh coat of black acrylic paint in a satin finish.

IMG_1475

The “parquetness” of the lower cabinets really bothered me. It totally dated this piece even after it was painted. So I decided that beaded wallpaper would be perfect to cover the “parquetness” and modernize this piece.

IMG_1486

I got some cheap beaded wallpaper from Menards that I would not recommend using on your walls. But for this project it was good enough. After soaking the wallpaper for 5 seconds I let it sit for 10 minutes. It seemed like it resized itself, which drove me bananas.  I applied it to the cabinet surface smoothing it in place and caulked the sides to hide the edge. After about 8 hours of drying I painted it.

IMG_1488 DSC_2556

I was afraid the hutch would look like a big, black, blob in the game room so I decided to add a pop of color to the top glass doors. I removed the glass panes and then I got some fabric from Joann Fabrics and ironed it and attached it to the door frame with my air stapler.

IMG_1530

IMG_1532

DSC_2553

I sprayed the hinges with some of the black spray paint and added some knobs that I had left over from another project and screwed them in place. 

DSC_2558

DSC_2552

DSC_2557

Sign up for your FREE ebook here!

Ebook cover 6 figure biz

Enter your email address and learn how I built a 6-figure business with no one watching. And you can too!

100% Secure. Powered by ConvertKit
2 Shares
Share
Pin2
Tweet
+1