Summer barbecues are upon us and trying to find healthy side dishes that will be perfect picnic food can be challenging. There is something about side dishes with mayo on a buffet table in the baking sun that makes me dry heave, anyone with me? Well here is a health-conscious salad that tastes good, is good for you, and looks pretty – powerful picnic or BBQ combination. Mediterranean Couscous Salad. This would also be good with some leftover quinoa or brown rice if you would rather.
1 Yellow Pepper
1 Red Pepper
1/2 Bunch of parsley
1 1/2 C uncooked couscous
3/4 C toasted Slivered Almonds
1/2-3/4C Golden Raisins
1 small yellow onion
1/4-1/3C olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Dice yellow pepper, red pepper, and onion. Chop parsley.
2. Toast almonds with a tiny bit of oil until browned.
3. To cook couscous: Pour into a mixing bowl, and add boiling water, just to cover and let sit until all water is absorbed (roughly 20 minutes).
4. Once absorbed, fluff with fork and mix in chopped veggies.
5. Place in the fridge to cool. Once cooled and before serving, mix in raisins, almonds, and stir in olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
For more of my favorite recipes click on the pictures below…