Hi friends! The winner of the Miss Plunkett’s Boutique giveaway is
For the rest of you there is still a valid 20% off coupon using the code infarrantly20.
Happy Monday to you! So I still needed to decorate my new console table. If you missed the before and after shots of it then click here. If you want to see how I made my quatrefoil mirror click here.
Well I made my way to Lowe’s and found some galvanized pails for $7.28 a piece. I thought $15 for two pails was a decent deal. I really liked how the silver color played off the lamps. However, they look a tad too industrial for this space. So I decided to make fabric liners for them.
Using tin snips I cut into the metal on the handle holder. Then I removed the metal handle and bent the metal towards the bucket with some pliers.I used the same process as you would to create a template for recovering a lamp. Here is a great video to show you how to get the pattern. I also traced the bottom of the pail to create a template.Then I laid my template pieces on top of my fabric and pinned it in place. I cut out the fabric 1/2” larger on all sides except for the top of the pail pattern where I measured and marked 3” from the template. This will accommodate the casing that will hold the fabric in place on the pail.
I pinned the fabric together with right sides together (forming a tube)and stitched it using a 1/2” seam allowance.Then I took the circle fabric and pinned it to the bottom of the tube with ride sides together. You will have to stretch a little to pin it all down. Just keep stretching and pinning until everything lays flat. Stitch it using a 1/2” seam allowance. Then try it out by putting the fabric into the pail tucking the bottom seam into the edge. Perfect. Next fold under the top of the fabric tube 1/2” and iron it down. Fold it over another 1/2” and stitch it in place leaving an opening for the elastic. I used 3/8” elastic for this project. Then pull the elastic around the pail stretching it a little taut and cut it to size.Then feed one end through the casing using a safety pin.
Pull the two ends of the elastic and pin. Then sew down back and forth tacking it in place. Then tuck it in and sew the opening shut. That is it. Put it in your pail and admire. It is a super easy beginning sewing project.
It is coming along but it still needs a little more. Stay tuned!
Thanks for the tutorial! I am going to try it. Plus, now I know what that ruler thingy is used for once I saw it in your post LOL
I really like your tut. Great job, I can't wait to use it!
How cute are those?! Great tutorial!! They do look a lot better with the liners. 🙂
That's so cute, simple, & easy! Just the way I like sewing projects lol. Really love your wreath & now I'm off to hunt your blog for a tut for it lol. Thanks
I love your colors! I have turquoise and red too. Isn't it happy?
Where did you find your fabric? The buckets look wonderful!
Nice! What a difference the liners make. Another great idea and tut! Even your printing on the pattern paper is pretty :o) xo
I love that look! And I also love the red with the turquoise! ONe of my favorite color combos!
Where did you find those lamps!?! I would love them for my bedroom!
Super cute idea. I'll have to try that somewhere. Great job.
What a GREAT idea! I'm loving your console – the remake has made me look at curb furniture in a whole new light – Here's a thought… If the buckets are going to get a lot of use you may want to trace the bottom onto cardboard, cut out a few pcs a little smaller than the bottom and glue together to fill in the space at the bottom of the bucket making it a flat smooth surface, then cover the entire bottom with felt so the pretty paint on your console doesn't get worn over time when the buckets are slid in and out. Love your tute!
I really like the brown pedestal “bowl” on your console! Such a great shape~!