I love DIY felt flowers in and on just about anything. Felt is a great medium to use since it is fray free and creates beautiful flowers. With the cooler months ahead and scarf season almost here, I made a few flower pins to accessorize my outfits.
Whether you’re just starting out or a seasoned crafter looking to add some skills, this guide will you accomplish a DIY felt flower project easily.
How to Make DIY Felt Flowers
Here are the supplies you need to prepare and the steps you need to follow o make handmade flowers out of felt:
- Sharp pair of scissors
- Fabri-Tac glue
- Pin backs
- Cardboard (I used a recycled cereal box)
- Embroidery floss or thread
Now that you have the materials and tools ready, let’s start making your DIY felt paper flowers!
1. Cut a piece of felt 1 1/2” wide by any length (depending on how big you want your flower). Fold it in half and apply glue at the edge.
2. Cut little slits into the folded part of the felt.
Now here is where you can get creative with how you cut your felt which will give you variations in the flowers. All of the ones pictured below are cut the same way. The only difference is how wide I cut the slits.
This larger flower is done simply by adding another strip of felt to make it larger. Next to it is the size comparison of one strip versus two.
This one is done by cutting the slits on a diagonal rather than a straight cut.
This last one, which looks curvier, is done simply by skipping the gluing part in Step 1 and just holding the felt closed while you cut it. Somehow, when you roll it up, it gives it this look.
3. Roll your flower up and dab glue along the way. Once the glue is dry, fluff it in place.
4. Cut a 2 1/2” square out of cardboard. Cut a large felt square. Glue the cardboard onto the felt. Cut at the corner and glue it down. This will give you something nice and sturdy to glue the flowers onto.
5. To add a little more embellishment, I cut out some leaves. Then with my needle with embroidery thread, I stitched around it to add interest.
6. Glue your flowers onto the felt-covered cardboard (onto the ugly side).
7. Once dry, flip it over and glue a pin back on. Cut a small piece of felt to cover the pin back and give it a finished look.
Add it to a shirt, a diaper bag, your purse, a scarf, a dog…okay, I am kidding about the dog part. But really…what doesn’t need flower embellishments???? Everything is cuter with flower pieces if you ask me!
FAQs About DIY Felt Flowers
1. Can I use other types of glue instead of Fabri-Tac for making felt flowers?
While Fabri-Tac is a popular choice for its strong bond and suitability for fabric, you can experiment with other fabric glues or even hot glue guns. However, be cautious to choose a glue that dries clear and is compatible with felt.
2. Is it necessary to use cardboard as a backing for the felt types of flowers?
Using cardboard as a backing provides stability and durability to the elegant flowers. It prevents them from becoming floppy and helps them maintain their shape. However, you can explore alternatives like stiffened felt or pre-made flower backings available in craft stores.
3. Can I wash felt flowers?
Felt flowers are generally not meant to be washed, as the water and agitation can cause them to lose their shape or color. However, spot cleaning with a damp cloth or using a fabric freshener spray can help maintain their appearance.
4. How can I store my felt flowers when not in use?
It is best to store felt flowers in a dry, dust-free environment to prevent damage. You can place them in a box or container with tissue paper or bubble wrap to protect them from being crushed or flattened. Avoid storing them in direct sunlight to prevent fading.
5. Can I make felt flowers in different sizes?
Absolutely! Felt flowers can be made in various sizes by adjusting the width and length of the felt strips. Experimenting with different sizes will allow you to create diverse flower arrangements and add visual interest to your projects.
Start Making Your DIY Felt Flowers!
Making felt flowers is a delightful and creative craft project that adds a touch of charm and elegance to various items.
With just a few simple materials and basic techniques, you can create beautiful and fluffy flowers to accessorize your outfits and home decor and use them as a gift topper. The versatility of felt flowers allows you to explore different flower shapes, sizes, and embellishments, enabling you to personalize your creations.
It goes without saying that these felt flowers are a fantastic way to unleash your creativity and bring a pop of color and joy to any project. So gather your supplies, follow the steps outlined above, and get ready to experience the joy of making your own felt flowers!
Do you like making flowers? Check out some more of my flower tutorials…
How to Make Rolled Ribbon Flowers