This easy Gluten and Sugar Free Carrot Cake made with coconut flour and honey is the healthiest a cake can be. And it is delicious!
I am kind of obsessed with avoiding refined sugar at all costs. Also either of the substitutes unless there is evidence that come form natural and organic sources.
Cakes need sugar, right? Well, let’s change that. I don’t promise my cakes are more delicious that the ones with loads of sugars BUT… they are healthier and yet, really, yummy.
Don’t throw away your carrots!
Yes, in my house carrots are often forgotten in the bottom drawer of the fridge too. I am not lying or want to scare you off … you can still save them.
These are organic forgotten carrots but with a good peel and a bit of love, they won’t go to waste.
You can freeze them in a nice sealed bag and use when convenient. For example, now to make my yummy Gluten and sugar free carrot cake.
Ingredients for the Carrot Cake
I am using a small cake tin since, for now, I am the only one sticking to Gluten and Sugar Free stuff. It is a 6″ one.
This is therefore a small cake but you can still yield 6 nice slices out of it.
- 1 and 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ cup honey (manuka)
- ¼ butter (plant based)
- 1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
Ingredients for the Vegan and Sugar Free frosting
I am using Oat Whipping cream and Organic Maple syrup to make this Sugar and Dairy Free frosting.
- Whippable Creamy Oat
- Organic Maple Syrup
Alternative: Cream Cheese Frosting
You can also make vegan cream cheese frosting but I prefer this one better.
How To Make the Gluten & Sugar Free Carrot Cake
I will be using my frozen grated carrots so I took them out and leave them to defrost first.
1. Add the ingredients to the Food Processor
In this order:
- Grated carrots
- Butter (I am using Plant Based butter)
- Vanilla Extract
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Himalayan Salt
- Xanthan Gum
2. Mix them for a couple of minutes
We’ll mix first all these ingredients and then add the coconut flour and baking power last.
Mix again for another couple of minutes or until is all incorporated.
3. Spray your tin and pour the mix in
I use coconut oil but you can choose the oil of your choice or butter.
Pour the mix in (it is quite thick) and shape with a spatula.
4. Bake for approx. 30 minutes at 180 C/356 F
Keep checking but it’ll take no more than 30 minutes, although bear in mind this is a small carrot cake.
Decorate the Gluten & Sugar Free Carrot Cake
You can check my post Sugar and Dairy Free frosting.
I am using some seeds instead of walnuts just to make it a bit different. Still with the Autumn vibe though.
And here is the result. Very proud of it.
It makes you feel good about eating cake, I promise.
Gluten & Sugar Free Carrot Cake (With Coconut Flour)
- 1 6 inch cake tin
- 1 Microwave Oven
- 1.5 cups Grated Carrots
- 3 pieces Eggs
- ¼ cup Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- ¼ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Butter (Plant-based)
- 1 tsp Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp Himalayan Salt
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- Add the ingredients to the Food ProcessorIn this order:Grated carrotsButter (I am using Plant Based butter)EggsHoneyCinnamonGingerVanilla ExtractApple Cider VinegarHimalayan SaltXanthan Gum
- Mix them for a couple of minutes
- Add the coconut flour and baking power last.
- Spray your tin with coconut oil.
- Pour the mix in (it is quite thick) and shape with a spatula.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes at 180 C/356 F
- Decorate the Gluten & Sugar Free Carrot Cake
Thank you. I can’t wait to try this. I will probably substitute the honey with Swerve. My daughter is allergic to coconut – any suggestions for a different flour?
Glad you like it! Yes, there are other options for healthy sweeteners!