Women’s bible study is starting up for the fall in a few short weeks. Toting my bible study book, bible, notecards, highlighters and pen prove difficult without a bag. So I thought I would make an embellished one with some rosettes and ruffles. One of my favorite upbeat worship songs is “Oh Happy Day” by Fee. If you read my real and raw story you know the day I accepted the forgiveness offered to me by Jesus changed me forever. Here is the chorus…
Oh happy day
You wash my sin away
Oh happy day
I’ll never be the same
Forever I am changed
Riley Blake Verona fabrics (Main Rouge, Damask Rouge, Flowers Teal)
Plain white canvas tote (Wal-Mart)
sewing machine and thread
1. Using a fat quarter I cut 5 strips 3” wide and sewed them together end to end and then ironed them under twice and sewed a hem on each side. Then I ruffled my fabric by sewing in the middle on the widest and longest stitch. Then I gathered the fabric by pulling the top string to make a ruffle and sewed it onto the strap.
2. I used the Tall, Dark and Handsome font from dafont.com and typed out “OH HAPPY DAY” in my Silhouette Studio program and then enlarged it to 13”.
3. Then I cut out my fabric and ironed on the clean cut fabric interfacing on the back and positioned it on the long mat and cut out my letters with the Silhouette Cameo.
4. Then I lined up my letters as straight as possible and then ironed them onto the front of the bag using a press cloth.
5. I also made a few fabric rosettes to embellish it a little more and attached them to the bag with hot glue.
Are you ready to purchase a Silhouette Cameo yet?
Do you already have a Silhouette machine? Click here if you want to purchase just the fabric cutting accessory bundle.
Very cute tote! I love it. I was wondering though, do you have any tips for cutting fabric with the Cameo? I’ve been having trouble getting clean cuts and am not sure what settings to use on the machine. Any suggestions?
I love your tote and I LOVE that song! I love watching Whoopie Goldberg in Sister Act just to hear them sing!!! 🙂
LOVE it! What a great project! Question for you…can you cut fabric using the Silhouette interfacing on a plain Silhouette machine (vs. a Cameo)?
I love it! I don’t have a Silhouette, but I do have a Cricut…must make one…love the ruffles on the straps!
You’ve done it again! Once more I’m off to the silhouette site . . . this time to buy the fabric cutting accessory bundle. Thanks for showing what can be done with it!
Yes you can!
I always do a double cut and I change my blade depth deeper than it call for. That helps me.
Very cute! That’s one of my favorite songs too!
Love it Beckie! That’s one of my kiddos favorite wake-up songs.
I LOVE your bag, Beckie (and the sentiment behind it). 🙂 I still have the old Silhouette, so I keep a separate blade just for fabric…don’t think the new blade will work with my machine??
What study are you guys going to do? Some ladies from my MOPS group are meeting over the summer and we’re reading/discussing “God, Girlfriends, and Getaways.” Fun read. 🙂 I love Bible study and can’t wait for our Fall one to start up!
Yes the new blade works in the old cameo. Have you not bought the new type of blades yet? I love them they have this little dial thing instead of the caps. I can’t remember the name of it but it is by Priscilla Shirer.
I need to put “Oh happy day” on my pillow case. I sing that song as I get into bed – my favorite time of day 🙂