Are your kids counting down the days until the Minions movie comes out on July 10th? Only 4 more days! My kids fell in love with those little yellow guys from Despicable Me and can’t wait to watch them star in their own movie. In anticipation of the movie I partnered up with Universal Studios to host a Minion Backyard Bash for my kids and their friends. They sent me all the decorations and supplies and I came up with a craft and provided snow cones and the swimming pool. Win win!
My kids are always so thrilled when they get to be a part of what happens on my blog. So when the box came with Minion stickers all over it they knew there would be something in the box that they wanted. Of course I made the kids do chores in order to open the box (hey mama has to work it when she can!).
There was a ton of fun stuff in the box for the kids to enjoy, as well as make our party fun and decorative. Plus each of the kids got a goodie bag with a Minion towel, play-doh set, sunglasses and beach ball.
I think the kids favorite part was sticking the balloons on the pool return and filling the balloons with water and throwing them at each other.
However, my favorite part was cracking up at the kids in the Minion goggles. I made my kids wear the goggles and then put the beach ball between their legs and have a “walk-like-a-Minion” race. It was hilarious!
For an activity we made these adorable Minion flip flops. Make this quick summer craft and then wear them to the movie.
Yellow fabric (I got the Country Classic Solids from Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts)
Large Googly eyes (Jo-Ann Fabrics)
Blue Flips flops (Jo-Ann Fabrics)
1. Before the party started I ripped the fabric into 1” strips and then cut them into 8 1/2” strips and pre-bagged 60 strips into each bag.
2. Have the kids put a dab of glue into the bottlecaps and glue their googly eye or eyes in them. Stuart and one eye and Kevin and Bob have two. On my pair I have Stuart on one flip and Bob on the other flop 😉
3. While the glue is drying have the kids tie the yellow strips of fabric onto the flip flops. Push the strips towards the front of the flip flop and add as many as you’d like.
4. After all the strips are tied on give it a haircut if you’d like. You can keep them all crazy if you like that too. Below is the picture of cut and uncut.
5. Add the bottlecap eyeballs onto the front of the flip flop with some Fabri-tac glue. Easy peasy and super cute!
The middle white pair is mine. Those flip flops came in the Minion party package. The rest of the blue ones I purchased on sale from Jo-Ann Fabrics & Craft Store.
I hope you will join our family in going to see the Minions this summer. Here is a quick synopsis of the movie.
MINIONS – In Theaters July 10
The story of Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment’s Minions begins at the dawn of time. Starting as single-celled yellow organisms, Minions evolve through the ages, perpetually serving the most despicable of masters. Continuously unsuccessful at keeping these masters—from T. rex to Napoleon—the Minions find themselves without someone to serve and fall into a deep depression.
But one Minion named Kevin has a plan, and he—alongside teenage rebel Stuart and lovable little Bob—ventures out into the world to find a new evil boss for his brethren to follow.
The trio embarks upon a thrilling journey that ultimately leads them to their next potential master, Scarlet Overkill (Sandra Bullock), the world’s first-ever female super-villain. They travel from frigid Antarctica to 1960s New York City, ending in mod London, where they must face their biggest challenge to date: saving all of Minionkind…from annihilation.