Today I thought I would show you a personalized project that you can make for a new mom. It is an adorable birth announcement pillow that I found at Uncommon Goods. With the Silhouette Cameo machine this project is so simple to make. It is like subway art on a pillow. If you don’t have a digital cutting machine you can order the iron on vinyl here, or the stencil here from Say it on the Wall.
sewing machine with coordinating thread
fabric (I chose canvas)
12” x 12” pillow insert
1. I started out in my Silhouette studio program designing the words for the pillow. I used Arial and Arial Black for my font.
2. Next I cut out the vinyl with my Silhouette studio program and used the hook to remove all the letters from the backing. Then with fabric transfer tape I transferred the vinyl onto a 13” x 13” piece of fabric and burnished (rubbed and pressed hard) it down so I wouldn’t have any paint leakage.
3. Then I painted the fabric ink onto the letters. You can also use fabric medium mixed with acrylic paint. I let it dry for about 5 minutes and then put another coat on. When using light ink on darker fabric I always do two coats.
4. When it was dry I pulled all the vinyl off of the fabric. Then using a press cloth I ironed it to set the ink.
5. I cut two more pieces of my fabric to 9” x 13”. I pressed under the long edge 1/4” and then 1/2” and then sewed it down. I did that to both pieces.
6. Then I laid my painted fabric face up and laid the two other pieces overlapping on top of that (right side facing the painted fabric). Then I pinned it all in place.
7. Then I sewed all the way around the edge using a 3/8” seam. I clipped the corners and turned it right side out. Then I slipped a 12” x 12” pillow form inside.
Wouldn’t any mom of a new baby love to receive a personalized birth announcement pillow in the color scheme of the baby’s room?
If you would like to make one yourself you can order a custom vinyl or stencil here from Say it on the Wall.
I need to highlight more of Lori Blom’s pillows. She has a ton more than what is sold at Uncommon Goods. She has a truckload of awesome personalized pillows and even a pet line. Go check out her amazing designs at Uptown Artwork.
I love this idea. Do you have any suggestions on how to do the text without one of those machines?
I absolutely love this. Too bad my family has a Cricut instead of a Silhouette :(. You’re so crafty! You could sell those. love, love, love it!
Have a good one!
Love this, Beckie! What a fun idea!
Thanks Miranda 😉
sayitonthewall.com will cut the vinyl for you and send it to you if you tell her what you want on it.
What a great idea! I love the color and the idea of using it as a gift. Megan
This is great! Thanks for sharing how it’s done! I am new here, and am loving your crafts already, I am off to have a real look around!
Welcome Nicola, I hope you will find yourself at home.
Oh my! I LOVE this!!! My sister is going to have a baby this summer…she is sooo getting one of these! Thanks for the inspiration!
I love this. This is a great idea. To the commenter who wondered how you could do this without a Sillouette. You could probably use stencil letters to paint the pillow or you could print the words onto transparency paper and use and exacto knife to cut out the letters and use that as a stencil.
I have seen subway art for a frame but never on a pillow I love this idea! I would love for you to share this at my link party!
I just love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing it!
Do you know if I can do this using a cricut?
I am sorry I don’t know anything about the Cricut.
I am definitely making one of these for myself after our new little is born! Thanks for sharing!
What an awesome idea!! I LOVE it!! Pinning it!
I have a friend that makes these ALL the time (we’re at that age where everyone but me is having a baby). She prints it on a tile though and wraps them up with a plate display holder thing. Megacute!
That’s a great idea. It would make a wonderful keepsake!
So adorable! Could I buy one from you?
I am sorry I don’t seel my stuff ;-(
I was just wondering which I should order: the iron on vinyl or the stencil. I don’t seem to understand the difference!
Thanks! And I LOOOVEE this it’s so adorable!!
I have the same question as Diana. I know I want to order from say it on the wall, but I’m not sure which to order.
I would buy the stencil and paint it. But the iron on would work too.
Where do you get that color in the canvas fabric. I found pink but not that color.
The color I got is pink. It just may not look like it in the picture. I got it at Joann’s.