The chocolate chip cookie has been America’s favorite in the United States the early 1800s. Here’s a recent Survey confirming it.
The chocolate chip cookie was invented in the late 1930s by Ruth Wakefield by accident! Apparently she run out of baker’s chocolate and decided to chop a bar of Nestle semi-sweet chocolate and add it.
She expected it to melt but it didn’t and that’s how the Chocolate Chip Cookie was invented!
How many types of Chocolate Chip cookies exist?
There are as many different recipes for chocolate chip cookies as people making them. But the most popular recipe is the one that uses semi-sweet chocolate chips.
America’s Favorite Cookies are generally made with butter, sugar, eggs, and flour as base. Some recipes also include baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract.
However, I am Infarrantly Creative and I rarely take a recipe and stick to it from start to finish.
What is the secret to the best moist cookie?
If you want to know the secret for the best chocolate cookie recipe, you’ll have to ask someone who knows how to make them. However…
Some will tell you that a good chocolate cookie recipe is all about the ingredients, the quality of the chocolate, the butter, the type of sugar…
Others will say that is all about the technique (or the hands making them). Mixing the dough too much will add too much air into the it and it will cause the cookies to cave in as they bake.
I cannot but apply the DIY motto in my life and get hands-on with it.
I am in the process of developing the “Infarrantly Chocolate Chip Cookie” as my next baking adventure.
What chocolate chips do professional bakers use?
The most common type is the semi-sweet chocolate chip, which is made from chocolate that has a cocoa content of between 50 and 60 percent.
- CANE SUGAR*, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR*, COCOA BUTTER*, MILKFAT, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLA EXTRACT*.
- 365 by Whole Foods Market products give you that dance-down-the-aisles feeling, virtual aisles too! Our huge range of choices with premium ingredients at prices you can get down with makes grocery shopping so much more than tossing the basics in your car
Another type of chocolate chip that is popular with professional bakers is the bitter-sweet chocolate chip. These chocolate chips are made from chocolate that has a cocoa content of between 70 and 85 percent.
- Unsweetened chocolate, cane sugar, cocoa butter, milkfat, soy lecithin, vanilla extract.
- Six (6) 10 oz bags of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Premium
- Ghirardelli baking chocolate is great for any baking need, including chocolate chip cookies, brownies and cakes
- Chocolate for baking with rich flavor and dark roast qualiti
Gluten Free option for Baking Chips
The America’s Favorite Cookie is not currently gluten free unfortunately. However, with a massive number of people with gut issues, it will be.
Give it some time.
For gluten Free chocolate chips, there are not THAT many options. You cannot go for semisweet or bittersweet but these seems to be a great option.
- For Baking Keto Diet Cookies and Dessert (2 Bags)
- Low carb: each serving of these milk chocolate baking chips is just 1g net carbs, making these delicious morsels the ideal healthier choice ingredient for your low carb recipes.
- Gluten free, grain free and soy free: we’ve created a wholesome milk chocolate chip made with real cocoa butter and free from common allergens like soy and gluten. Fantastic for kid approved low sugar fun-in-the-kitchen!
- Perfect for baking: these all-purpose low sugar chocolate chips are perfect for baking into gluten free cookies, adding to healthier bakes and cakes, or melting down for a rich keto friendly chocolate ganache
What are the Best Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes out there?
In order to develop my own, I have browsed and researched what are considered the BEST of the BEST in the current internet baking world.
Here are my findings:
- The Best Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies by Tasty.
- Super soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies by Sally’s Baking Addiction.
- Vintage chocolate chip cookies by BBC Good Food.
Now, you know I am in the process of going totally Gluten Free. My gut health has been warning me for a while now. So here are the BEST I could find which are Non Gluten.
- The Best Chewy Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies by Mygluten-freekitchen.com.
- The BEST Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies by Glutenfreeonashoestring.com.
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies by Kingarthurbaking.com.
What can I add to a Chocolate Chip Cookie to make it unique?
This is in my head spinning right now. We all know there are all sorts of combinations with chocolate nowadays: Orange, mint, salted caramel, sea salt, ginger… even fresh rosemary has been done!
How can we make a chocolate chip cookie stand out the crow in 2022?
Come on think girl!
Perhaps the secret is not on the add-ins but in the flour! That’s it.
However not being gluten friendly is a challenge as: More protein = more gluten. More gluten = more chew.
To be continued… (ideas welcomed in comments)
In the meantime, you can read “5 Ways To Make Pumpkin Cookies” here.