I loved the idea of putting something unexpected–like these pretty succulents–onto something that was meant to display food.
And I had a lot of fun making my own tiered stand.
While I was researching different ideas for this project, I came across dozens of terrific ideas anyone could use to DIY a tiered dessert stand.
The possibilities for these stands are literally limitless! You can find a tutorial for any skill level, style, size, or shape!
And I think I’ve demonstrated pretty effectively that these stands are pretty versatile!
Along with entertaining, they can be used to display craft supplies, spices, makeup, and seasonal decor.
I think I might have to make a few more…..I might try one of these 5 Ways to Make Your Own Tiered Cake Stand.
1. Shabby Chic Circles
Plans and a tutorial for this effortlessly elegant stand are available at Shanty 2 Chic.
I like how the tiers on this one are completely flat, leaving lots of room for sweet treats!
2. Plates + Hardware
The perfect solution if you are short on storage space, this stand make from hardware and pretty plates can be easily taken apart for compact storage. Well, go ahead with porcelain material and you can use it for a special event as well.
See how to make it at HomedIt.
3. Plates + Candlesticks
No drilling required for this modular stand made by Ann Wu Photography.
It’s simple to put together with melamine plates, candlesticks, and glue.
4. Stemware + Dessert Plates
Kate from Centsational Style shares these colorful dessert stands made from stemware and dessert plates bought at any thrift store for cheap.
Pick up multiple and make them in fun summer colors to group together and display all types of desserts.
5. Wood + Copper
As a DIYer myself with a huge scrap pile, I absolutely love this wood & copper cake stand from Brittany aka the Pretty Handy Girl.
Made with some shiny copper pipes and wood scraps this could easily be made with a trip to your local hardware store!
Aren’t those fun?
Can you think of an occasion when you’d like to use a tiered stand? I’m thinking of a pretty feminine cake stand made of pretty tableware for Mother’s Day.
Bright colorful stands for your summer BBQs or your Christmas holidays. You can make them in all colors and themes to match your decor or theme.
Buying A Tiered Cake Stand on the Other hand…
One thing we do know, the best type of cake stand is one that meets your needs, fits your style, and enhances the look of your cake. But also suits your pocket.
The cost of a personalized or designed tiered cake stand can vary greatly depending on the material, size, and complexity of the design. On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $50 to $200 or more for a high-end, custom-made tiered cake stand.
However, there are also affordable options available, such as DIY tiered cake stands made from materials like cardboard or wood, which can cost much less. If you don’t want to make your own, that is.
Here are my favs in case you want to head to Amazon (these are affiliate links):
1. HURZMORO 4 Tier Round Cupcake Tower Stand for 50 Cupcakes
For around $60 you can get this farmhouse style cake stand which, it is pretty cool if you ask me. Real wood and very spacious!
2. Homly Rechargeable Multi-Color LED Light Cupcake Stand with Remote,
I know my son would love this one. I don’t so much but cannot help to admit it is perfect for that teens birthday’s party. It is acrylic and, as seen, has rechargeable neon lights. As the seller states: “It is to make your life more colorful and achieve a higher quality party. We have reason to believe that it will be the best decoration for bars, weddings, birthdays and festival parties”. They are kind of right.
3. Wooden Cupcake Towers
This option is pretty versatile. Apparently it is not only sold as a cake stand but also can serve you as decoration and display of succulents or plants, which is pretty convenient. They call it: “Rustic Risers For Displays Ideal Craft Funko Pop Shelves, Outdoor Plant Stand Indoor, Dessert Table Display Set”.
While crafting your own handmade cake stand can be a fun and rewarding experience, it’s essential to prioritize safety. Here are some precautions to keep in mind:
- Protective Gear: Wear safety goggles and gloves when drilling or handling potentially sharp objects to protect your eyes and hands.
- Ventilation: If you’re using adhesives or coats of paint, ensure you’re working in a well-ventilated area to prevent inhaling fumes.
- Proper Tool Handling: Familiarize yourself with the proper handling and usage of any tools you’ll be using, especially if you’re not experienced with them. Follow manufacturer instructions and take necessary precautions.
Sometimes, things don’t go as planned during a DIY project. Here are a few troubleshooting tips to help you overcome common challenges when making a DIY cake stand:
- Uneven Plates: If your plates aren’t sitting level, try using small adhesive dots or silicone pads between the plates and dowels to create stability.
- Wobbly Stand: If your cool cake stand feels wobbly, double-check that the dowels are securely fastened to the plates. If needed, add more adhesive or use longer dowels for better stability.
- Uneven Holes: If the holes drilled in your vintage plates or modern cake plates aren’t aligned properly, use sandpaper or a file to enlarge or reshape the holes to allow for a better fit.
- Damaged Surfaces: If you accidentally scratch or damage the surface of your plates or dowels while working on your cake stand, you can use sandpaper or a gentle abrasive to smooth out the imperfections. Apply a thin layer of paint or sealant to restore the appearance.
- Stains or Spills: In case of spills or stains on your plates, clean them immediately with a mild detergent and warm water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that may damage the finish or design of your plates.
Wrapping Up the Tiers
Creating your own tiered cake stand can be a fantastic way to add personal touches at holiday parties, birthday parties, football parties, and more.
By gathering the necessary materials and tools, taking safety precautions, and troubleshooting any issues that arise, you’ll be well on your way to crafting a beautiful and functional cake stand. Enjoy the process, and have fun showcasing your homemade treats with style!
So, to be fair, depending on how often you actually throw parties with cakes…can be a God sent. Instead of keeping it stored,, just use it in your home!
Fell free to keep “surfing” the internet until you find one that suits your needs and budget. These are just a few examples 🙂