I received the Happy Hearts Fat Quarter stack from the girls at Adorn-It! Their new Happy Hearts line is perfect for Valentine’s day crafting. I decided to take their fat quarter stack and make some skirts for Kayla. This is a very simple beginner’s project that used two fat quarters and can be made year round if you just add some leggings underneath it in cooler weather. It takes about 30 minutes to make and about an hour to photograph your daughter…GAH! If your daughter is anything like my three year old she loves princesses, dolls and twirly skirts.
cutting mat, ruler and rotary cutter
2 fat quarters (18” x 22”)
iron and ironing board
1. Cut your main fabric (the top half of your skirt) in half lengthwise. You should have two strips approximately 9” x 22”. Next I cut two more strips from a coordinating fabric 4.5” – 9” (depending on length) x 22”.
2. With right sides together sew the main fabric to the coordinating strip making sure that if you are working with a directional fabric that it is facing the correct way. Repeat for the second set. Press open the seams.
3. With right sides together pin the sides and sew. Press those seems flat.
4. Press the bottom under 1/4” and then fold the coordinating strip in half. Sew around the edge where the folded fabric meets the seam. This will create a nice folded band around the bottom of the skirt and also gives it a little more weight to lay nicely.
5. Press the top under 1/4” and then fold it over one more time to make a casing to accommodate the elastic. Measure the waist of the little girl wearing it and then subtract 1” and cut your elastic to that size. Pin and sew around leaving a 2” opening.
6. Using a safety pin thread the elastic through meeting it on the other side. Pin and sew together. Then sew your opening closed.
(Left to right: Love Word Play with Simple Dots Hot Pink, Love Birds Yellow with Tiny Dot Red, Happy Stripe with Simple Dots Hot Pink, Cupid’s Love White with Subtle Plum)
Stay tuned for a giveaway from Adorn-It on Friday.