I have a big family on my mom’s side. If we are all in attendance it is well over 50 people. Whenever we get together we always do potlucks, pitch-ins, a dish to pass, covered dishes…what do you call it? Basically we all bring something as a side dish or a dessert to share with everyone else. There are a few staples that need to be at our family gatherings or I am disappointed, namely Broccoli Salad, Strawberry Pretzel Dessert, and Oreo balls. Recently this beef made with giardiniera sauce is quickly becoming a family fave as well.
3 pound beef roast
jar of giardiniera sauce (they sell it at Dollar Tree)
6 pepperoncinis (they sell it at Dollar Tree)
1/ packet of ranch dressing mix
1/2 packet of Au Jus mix
1/2 stick of light butter
1. Add your beef to the crock pot. You want meat with a little marbling for flavor. But I try and get a leaner roast just to cut calories.
2. Add 6 pepperoncinis on top of the beef.
3. Sprinkle on the 1/2 of a dry ranch dressing packet and 1/2 of a packet of the Au Jus.
4. Then add one jar of the giardiniera sauce and 1/2 stick of light butter.
4. Cook on low until the beef shreds easily usually 8-10 hours.
5. Remove all the cooked veggies with a slotted spoon. Reserve in a bowl.
6. I then remove the beef and put it in my Kitchen Aid mixer bowl with the paddle attachment and shred it that way.
7. Put the shredded beef back into the crockpot with the liquid and cook on low another 30 minutes.
8. Serve on rolls. I buy the 90 calorie mini rolls in the bakery section of the grocery store and add 3 ounces of beef to the sandwich (yes I measure). I figure it is right around 250-275 calories a sandwich.
For those that like the veggies they can add them on top of the sandwich. For those that don’t they still get the full flavor without them. It is so yummy and perfect for a crowd.
Looking for more tried and true crock pot recipes?
Crock Pot Shredded Rotisserie Chicken – no whole chicken needed. Simply make this classic with boneless skinless chicken breasts
Crock Pot Sloppy Pizza Joes – kid approved