Looking for a quick Valentine’s Day project to do with your kiddos? This project is super simple and can be made with an old t-shirt. If you are anything like me you have t-shirts coming out the wazoo. We easily have over 75 between my husband and I. It is time to start purging and upcycling. That is what this week is all about – T-shirt Upcycle Week.
There are a zillion projects you can do with an old t-shirts. I showed you 12 of my favorite yesterday. Well today I am going to show you how I took a white t-shirt and stamped it and made a quick and easy Valentine’s Day accessory for my daughter. The best part is…she helped make it. #craftingwithkidswin
White t-shirt to upcycle
foam alphabet and heart stamp (I got mine for less than $2 at Hobby Lobby)
fabric paint or acrylic paint with fabric medium
hot glue gun
felt hearts (I got mine at the Dollar Spot at Target).
Rotary cutter and mat or scissors
Kayla and I represented Hometalk and demoed it on our local lifestyle show called Indy Style. It was her first TV appearance. She did so well.
1. Cut a 6” width length of t-shirt material. Mine was 6” x _____”. TIP: Make sure you stretch your t-shirt material and let the fabric curl on the backside of your scarf not towards the front.
2. Cover your work surface and prepare paints if you are mixing acrylic paints with a fabric medium.
3. Then just stamp your design onto the scarf. I found it easiest to paint the stamp with the fabric paint. But you can press the stamp into the paint as well. I used the X and the O and the heart from the alphabet pack. I also used light pink, dark pink and red paint.
4. When the entire scarf is stamped let it dry.
5. Once dry iron it to set the paint.
6. I wanted the scarf to stay in place so I hot glued a pin back to a felt heart and added it to the scarf.
My daughter loves it because she made it and it helps keep her neck warm in these freezing temperatures we have been having in the Midwest.
Looking for other ways to up cycle old T-shirts. Click here to see how I made a simple upcycled t-shirt dress.