I try and make one unique ornament commemorating my kids each year. Last year I did another silhouette one framed in a small embroidery hoop. I still love silhouettes so I did it again, this time on a spoon. Cheap Dollar Tree spoons are the perfect beginning project to try out metal stamping. You can stamp any message into the spoon or take it a step further with a silhouette spoon ornament with a hand stamped name.
I went on my local Indy Style show and demo’d this process if you would like to watch me live.
Dollar Tree Teaspoons (2 for $1)
Alphabet Metal Stamp Set (I got mine from Beaducation)
Vinyl with Silhouette Cameo (optional)
Metal polish with soft cloth
1. Dollar Tree has a couple of different patterns of teaspoons. Grab whichever one you like.
2. Using a heavy hammer press your stamp firmly into the spoon and hit the stamp hard (no more than twice) onto your anvil. For a video tutorial on metal stamping checking out Beaducation’s Free video classes.
3. Once your message is stamped in draw over the writing with a black Sharpie marker. With a soft cloth and metal polish buff the spoons shiny. The black Sharpie will stay in the stamp and give it more definition.
4. Using brut force (it isn’t hard, I promise) bend your spoon at the neck. Tie a ribbon around the neck and hang it on your tree.
5. Optional — using your Silhouette Cameo machine cut out a silhouette of your child with vinyl and then stick it onto your spoon. It is a great way to freeze a moment in time.
Super cheap, super cute, and super easy, my kind of ornament! So have you made any ornaments this year? Leave your links I would love to feature some on Facebook Page.