*This post originally appeared on IC on December 29, 2010. I have updated it to reflect higher quality pictures.*
In the fall and winter I make soup at least once a week. I have a few amazing recipes in my arsenal that my family love. This ravioli soup is probably my favorite. I love Italian food and this hearty soup is awesome to make in the crock pot and is also a perfect freezer meal. Yes I said crock pot freezer meal, two words I love to hear! I usually make a double batch of this and freeze some of it for meals to give to families in need, or for our family at a later date.
Ravioli Soup – Serves 6
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon onion salt
2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes in puree
6 ounce can of tomato paste
14.5 ounce can beef broth
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup fresh parsley
12 ounce bag of frozen ravioli (we like the beef kind)
1. In your crockpot, add all the ingredients except the ground beef and raviolis. Make sure you chop up your onions fine, especially if you have picky kids.
2. Add your spices and stir your mixture well.
3. Brown up your ground beef, drain, and toss into the crockpot.
4. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
If you are freezing it then let it cool and then ladle it into freezer containers. Do not cook raviolis if you are freezing it.
5. If you are eating it right away, boil the raviolis you need according to package instructions. Drain and toss them into the crockpot and serve.
Once frozen: Thaw and heat up to serve. Boil raviolis, drain and add them to your soup.
This is kid approved. Here is Kayla at age 2 slurping it right up. It is an awesome and easy meal to have in your freezer or to bring to families in need.