Now that Isaac has a new puppet theater he needed something…like…PUPPETS! Of course I am not going to go out and spend a ton of money on them. So I made him some from stuffed animals. I thought I would show you how.
Scissors or Rotary Cutter
Pen or Marking Pen
Iron and ironing board
1. Find a longer torso’ed stuffed animal like this one below. Wash him in hot water in the washing machine if he needs cleaning.
2. Now this is the sad part. Cut off the legs of the animal. Mourn the loss and move on. Next stuff your hand into the animal and take out some of the stuffing to make it comfortable on your hand.
3. Slide the puppet on your arm and mark where the bottom of the puppet lands on your arm. Then measure the tip of your middle finger to that mark and add 1″. That is how long you want to cut the inside lining. Then measure the width of the opening of the animal and add 1/2″.
4. Tuck under the edge of the animal and sew it with a sewing machine to keep it from unraveling.
5. Now with the right sides of the fabric together cut out a puppet shape. It doesn’t need to be perfect. Just keep in mind the measurements that you took for the length and width of the animal making sure the shape is that wide and high.
6. Sew all three sides together with a 1/4″ seam leaving the bottom open.
7. Now press the bottom opening up 1/2″ inch all the way around.
8. Put the lining on your hand and shove the lining in place.
9. Pin the lining in place and sew around the puppet bottom on your sewing machine.
The whole project took me 10 minutes. Easy peasy. Yes I know…a pink bear for a boy…Shut it.
I am going off to massacre some more animals.