A few people have asked me how to make the hooded towels I give as a baby shower gift. Someone made one of these hooded towels for Isaac when he was first born and I love it. I hate those flimsy ones that you get when they are infant. They have the weight of a sheet. Plus these will last for years, my son is five and he still uses it. They are VERY simple to make. Even someone with minimal sewing skills can do this.
1. First what you need is a bath and hand towel (not a face towel). I usually get mine when they are on sale at Target 2 for $7 and 2 for $5. Get a nice, thick, soft one.
2. Cut the hand towel 10 inches on the short side of the towel. Make sure if there is a design on it that you have that in the part you cut out.
3. Next fold the 10″ hand towel right sides together with the sides you cut touching each other. Zigzag stitch the side you cut closed.
4. Next zig zag stitch a little triangle in the upper corner of the hood. Just wing it no need to measure or anything. Cut the excess off and turn the hood right side out.
5. This is the toughest part of explain. Fold your towel in half and put a pin in place (where the hood goes) so you know where the center is. Mark 4″ from the middle on both sides of the towel. Take that point and bring it into the middle and pin in place. Do the other side. It should look like this.
7. Now take your hood and match up the center of the back of the towel with the center of the back of the hood. Pin that in place and now pin the entire hood to the towel.