I love jewelry. It is my weakness. Some girls like shoes, I like bling. I have showed you before how I made an old crib into a jewelry cabinet. But believe it or not that wasn’t enough room for all of the jewelry I had. So I went to my local Lowe’s and asked for some 5 gallon paint sticks to create some hanging organization in my linen closet. If you store doesn’t give out paint sticks you can always buy 1/4″ x 2 pieces of luan in the lumber section.
5 Gallon Paint sticks
5/8” cup hooks
Drill and drill bits
Paint (I used Sun Safari by Dutch Boy)
1. Cut off the curved handle of the paint sticks so you have an even straight surface to work with. Mine ended up being 17 1/2” wide.
3. Sand any rough patches on the paint sticks and the 1” cuts. Glue the 1” cuts onto the backside of your paint stick on the edges. Let it dry overnight.
4. Predrill holes through the ends of the sticks where the drywall screws will go to attach these to the wall.
5. I didn’t bother priming it I just sprayed a coat of paint on them with my paint sprayer.
6. This next part took forever. Predrill and screw in 5/8” cup hooks into the paint sticks. I just winged this part without measuring. I just kind of eyeballed where I wanted the next cup hook to go based on the piece of jewelry that would hang there.
I used one dozen paint stick and over 200 cup hooks! My fingers were tired after screwing in all those cup hooks!
7. Once all the cup hooks are screwed in use a level to hang them where you want them to go using a drill. This is a great use of closet space where the shelves are deeper in the back.
Don’t have any hidden wall space? Check out this jewelry organizer that looks more like a piece of art than a place for your baubles.
Are you an earring lover? Here is a DIY earring holder that you can make any size to fit your wall.
And here is one to make for your bracelets.
Want to see more projects using paint sticks? I have a whole bunch of them on my site.
This is a repost from 2012.