Hi Infarrantly Creative readers! It’s Sarah from Sarah M. Dorsey Designs and I’m back to share a SUPER simple Greek Key pillow sham. If you’re like me, you love Greek key, but purchasing them can be pricey and DIYing them can be time consuming. Using Greek Key napkins is an easy and inexpensive way to get the look yourself in about an hour!
Materials + Tools (for two pillows):
* Greek Key Napkin (qty 2 // Jonathan Adler Happy Chic at JC Penney // look for a coupon $10 off of $10 or more to get a great deal! I recently got one in the mail)
* Coordinating napkins for the back (qty 4 // white and coral dot from Home Goods)
* Sewing machine
1. First, I removed the seams. Holding the fabric tight, I used an Xacto knife and ran it along the seam. I found this to be the fastest way, be careful to keep your fingers away from the blade at all times.
Then I washed and dried both sets of napkins (I didn’t take the seams out of the white coral napkins first)
2. After the napkins were dry, I ironed them.
3. Then I started working on the back pieces. I cut one of the coral and white napkins in half.
4. Then I started assembling the pillow sham. The finished sides are assembled facing the inside (see photo) First, lay napkin cut in half (finished edge to the center) then take a full napkin and overlap them about 4″-6″ and trim off the excess.
5. Pin the edges.
6. Sew around the perimeter. My shams fit a 20×20 pillow and I sewed 1.25″ from the widest part of the Greek Key.
7. Trim the excess fabric off (especially around the corners). Turn right side out and push the corners out – either use a chopstick and push the corners from the inside or use a pin to pull the corner out from the outside.
Fill with a pillow insert and admire your custom pillows!
I’ve also DIYed a few custom Greek Key shams.
and here. It’s a lot more time consuming, but it allows you to customize the size and shape.
I hope you’ll give one of these options a try! Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, one of these tutorials is a great way to bring the Greek Key pattern into your space!