My 2 1/2 year old daughter is starting to want a say in what she wears. And she also wants to change her clothes like 5 times a day. I know… I am in trouble. Luckily we are still at the stage in life where hand-me-down clothes are cool. She got these silver Mary Jane shoes from a friend. They have been worn and loved and really ought to be thrown out. However, she always wants to wear these shoes. She will have a pretty church dress on and insist on wearing her silver shoes. I cringe when she puts them on because they are so scuffed up. Since they were headed to the trash anyway I thought why not try and spray paint them and get a little more wear out of them.
Rustoleum Berry Pink spray paint
Krylon’s Glitter Blast Posh Pink spray paint
Hot Glue Gun
Krylon Clear Sealer
1. I started out by removing the bow with some scissors and a seam ripper.
2. Then I taped off the sole and the inside of the shoe. This was definitely the hardest part.
3. Then I painted them with the Berry Pink spray paint and let them dry.
4. Then I sprayed them with the Glitter Blast Posh Pink spray paint and let them dry for about 30 minutes. I sprayed them really well the Clear Sealant to seal the glitter on. When you use that over the Glitter Blast you can’t even get a fleck of glitter off.
5. Of course Kayla insisted on the shoe having the bows back on them. Gah! What am I going to do with this girl! So I hot glued the bows back on.
They aren’t perfect but my daughter exclaimed “They are soooooo bootiful Mommy.” So that made me happy, and I am no longer embarrassed if she wears them out of the house. With as fast as children’s feet grow this is a great way to stretch out the season with shoes.
Want to see more DIY Glittered Shoes: