This is the time of year when I know most of us are chomping at the bit to get outside and spruce up the exteriors of our homes. I made this painted plate garden art a couple of years ago and think it’s such a fun way to usher spring into your yard. Plus, it’s so simple to make your kiddos can even get in on the action!
I have seen some vintage dish and plate flowers on Pinterest and thought making my own from some inexpensive Dollar Tree glassware and glass paint would add a pop of pizazz to my yard this Spring. These are so easy to make and it is really hard to screw it up. You don’t need to have painting experience to make this garden art. Just a few swooshes with a paint brush and some glue and you are all set.
Dishes from Dollar Tree
E6000 Glue or Marine grade Glue
glass marbles from Dollar Tree
Deco Art glass paint (see colors below)
1. Wash all of your glass pieces with soap and water. Once dry lightly wipe them with alcohol to get all the soap residue off. This will help the paint to have maximum adhesion.
2. With the turquoise Crystal Gloss Enamels and the Turquoise Frost Glass Enamel paint big brush strokes onto the sides of your big plate alternating paints. At this point both of the paints look similar but when they are dry they will look different.
3. Start in the center and paint outwards with the Blue Crystal Gloss Enamel on the small plate.
4. With the flower dish paint the center upwards with Turquoise Gloss Enamels. The big brush stoke will give some great dimension to the flower. Once dry stripe the center up with Turquoise 3D Frost Gloss Enamel writer.
5. Drip blue Gloss Stain Pearlescent in a stripe pattern into the candle holder and let it pool at the bottom.
6. Once the pieces are fully dry glue them together with a generous amount of E6000 glue or marine grade glue. Then leave them undisturbed to cure overnight.
7. You can stop here and display the pretty flower on a plate rack. However I think the glass marbles just add a little something to it. Embellish them with swirls with the White 3D Opaque Glass Writer. Glue the marbles around the large plate with E6000 or Marine grade glue.
8. You can also add some of the White Opaque Gloss Writer to the edge of the dishes or add polka dots for more interest.
9. After everything has dried then glue (be generous) your 1/2” coupling nut onto the back. Thread a 3’ threaded rod into the nut and stick it into your landscaping for some cool garden art.