Getting your photos printed on museum wrapped canvas is hot right now. I remember when I was younger and the prices were so outrageous for this service. The prices have definitely come down, however it is still a little rich for my blood. The cheapest place online I have found to get a 24” x 36” canvas print is $100. I discovered a technique to make a faux canvas print for about 1/3 of the price.
Poster print of your photo
Brushstroke Mod Podge (I used gloss)
1. I got a 24” x 36” poster print of my favorite family photo. It cost me $15. The prices range from $15-$25 for this service.
2. I got a 1/4” MDF board cut to size at Home Depot. Using my Scotch 77 Spray Adhesive I adhered the poster onto the board. I used a scrap of the poster to protect my surface as I burnished it down.
3. When it was dry I turned it over and trimmed the edges with an Exacto knife. Using practically a whole bottle of Brushstroke Mod Podge — I used a white foam roller and spread a thick, even coat on top of my poster print.
Since Mod Podge dries very fast you have to work quickly.
4. Once your have an even coat over your poster print you press a piece of canvas on top of it. I used some canvas drop cloth material I had purchased at Home Depot. Then slowly pull back the canvas material to reveal a “canvas print” onto your Mod Podged surface.
5. The canvas literally stamps its impression into the Brushstroke Mod Podge giving you a faux canvas look. Now look over your photo meticulously to make sure there aren’t any hairs or fuzz that needs to be removed. Use tweezers to remove anything. If a part gets messed up just add more Mod Podge and press it again.
Let it dry a full 24 hours before you hang it on the wall. At this point I had an awesome frame I found at a church rummage sale for $7 forever ago. I actually didn’t paint it or anything. I liked the brown wood tones with our fall foliage picture.
Extreme close up to see the texture…
It looks so authentic. No one would ever be able to tell that it wasn’t a canvas print. Now if someone touches it then they can tell the difference. The canvas prints have a smoother texture than its faux but it looks amazing and I am so thrilled with the price. As yes, for those of you who are concerned, everything is acid free.
Frame from Rummage Sale $7
Mod Podge $4
MDF $6 =
Isn’t that awesome!?