Women’s bible study is starting up for the fall in a few short weeks. Toting my bible study book, bible, notecards, highlighters and pen prove difficult without a bag. So I thought I would make an embellished one with some rosettes and ruffles. One of my favorite upbeat worship songs is “Oh Happy Day” by Fee. If you read my real and raw story you know the day I accepted the forgiveness offered to me by Jesus changed me forever. Here is the chorus…
Oh happy day
You wash my sin away
Oh happy day
I’ll never be the same
Forever I am changed
Riley Blake Verona fabrics (Main Rouge, Damask Rouge, Flowers Teal)
Plain white canvas tote (Wal-Mart)
sewing machine and thread
1. Using a fat quarter I cut 5 strips 3” wide and sewed them together end to end and then ironed them under twice and sewed a hem on each side. Then I ruffled my fabric by sewing in the middle on the widest and longest stitch. Then I gathered the fabric by pulling the top string to make a ruffle and sewed it onto the strap.
2. I used the Tall, Dark and Handsome font from dafont.com and typed out “OH HAPPY DAY” in my Silhouette Studio program and then enlarged it to 13”.
3. Then I cut out my fabric and ironed on the clean cut fabric interfacing on the back and positioned it on the long mat and cut out my letters with the Silhouette Cameo.
4. Then I lined up my letters as straight as possible and then ironed them onto the front of the bag using a press cloth.
5. I also made a few fabric rosettes to embellish it a little more and attached them to the bag with hot glue.
Are you ready to purchase a Silhouette Cameo yet?
Do you already have a Silhouette machine? Click here if you want to purchase just the fabric cutting accessory bundle.