Do you love the tradition of the advent calendar? Here is a creative idea for an advent calendar using Dollar Tree pails and a large board. What kid doesn’t love the anticipation of something special each day to countdown to Christmas? And these pails from Dollar Tree are perfect to put a small treat, note or gift in them.
9 bags of galvanized metal pails (found at Dollar Tree in the wedding section)
Silhouette Cameo machine or Vinyl Set from Say It On the Wall
Krylon Cherry Red spray paint
MDF or Wood Board
Drill and drill bit
1. Cut or have a board cut to 18” x 24”. I would use a 3/4” MDF or a pine board. Measure and predrill all of your holes for the hooks. That is the hardest part of the project. Space them evenly apart. Then prime and paint your board. Note on picture below: I didn’t drill first, big mistake.
2. Using a Silhouette Cameo machine cut out the numbers 1-25 onto red vinyl. The vinyl set for this project is also available on Say It On the Wall if you do not have a digital cutting machine. Stick the vinyl in place on the tin pails.
3. After your board is dry screw all 25 of the angled hooks into place and then put the pails on them.
4. In order to mark the day I used a couple of buttons glued together with a magnet on the back. Since the small pails are galvanized the magnet sticks to the pail and you can move it each day.
5. Then I cut out “Merry Christmas” in the Pharmacy font from dafont.com in white vinyl with my Silhouette Cameo machine and adhered it to the top using transfer tape.
6. Add a flower or some sort of embellishment to the left. I used a fabric flower from The Pleated Poppy (no longer available).
You can add treats or write special activities to do as a family on small strips of paper and place them in the pail.
Originally posted in December 2010 (excuse the sub par photos :-))
If you are interested in the vinyl lettering for this project it is available on Say it on the Wall.
Check out this Advent Calendar Pillow for another creative way to count down.