I have been obsessed with two things lately: making pillows and the Simply Screen Kit from Plaid. I saw this Holiday Deer Throw Family Pillow cover from Red Envelope that is not only $50 but is also sold out! Not that I would purchase it anyway but I sure would recreate it myself.
Pillow cover (I got mine from Ikea: Aina Pillow Cover $6)
Simply Screen Kit
White Simply Screen paint
White printer paper
Scotch Blue Painter’s Tape
2. I printed out my design and then cut it down to fit the largest screen in the kit.
3. Then I peeled the backing from the screen and burnished my print out onto the sticky side of the screen.
4. Then I put a piece of glass over my image (image and screen side down) to really hold it down so the image would stay in tact when I exposed it.
5. Then I put it under the light box for exactly 25 minutes (SET A TIMER!).
6. I peeled back the paper and soaked my screen for 30 seconds. With my kitchen sprayer and a sponge I wiped away the emulsion until all of my image was a clear screen. Then I let my screen dry.
7. Next I marked the center of my pillow cover and then got my screen and taped it down with Scotch Blue painters tape.
8. I squirted two lines of Simply Screen paint and then drug it over my image pulling the paint into the screen. I used a thick coat and covered the entire image. I let it sit for two minutes and then I added another coat (since it was a lighter colored paint on a dark fabric).
9. Then I peeled off the tape. I pulled back the screen to reveal my print.
Woo-hoo! It is beautiful and the perfect little winter pillow! Then I let it dry. Using a press cloth I ironed it to set the print. Then I popped a pillow in it and admired it on couch.
If you want to see more of my pillows I have made this month click here.
Do you want to see more screenprinting projects?
Click here to see my Knock Off Monogram Pillow
Click here to see my Christmas Subway Art Pillow