Today I thought I would show you a personalized project that you can make for a new mom. It is an adorable birth announcement pillow that I found at Uncommon Goods. With the Silhouette Cameo machine this project is so simple to make. It is like subway art on a pillow. If you don’t have a digital cutting machine you can order the iron on vinyl here, or the stencil here from Say it on the Wall.
sewing machine with coordinating thread
fabric (I chose canvas)
12” x 12” pillow insert
1. I started out in my Silhouette studio program designing the words for the pillow. I used Arial and Arial Black for my font.
2. Next I cut out the vinyl with my Silhouette studio program and used the hook to remove all the letters from the backing. Then with fabric transfer tape I transferred the vinyl onto a 13” x 13” piece of fabric and burnished (rubbed and pressed hard) it down so I wouldn’t have any paint leakage.
3. Then I painted the fabric ink onto the letters. You can also use fabric medium mixed with acrylic paint. I let it dry for about 5 minutes and then put another coat on. When using light ink on darker fabric I always do two coats.
4. When it was dry I pulled all the vinyl off of the fabric. Then using a press cloth I ironed it to set the ink.
5. I cut two more pieces of my fabric to 9” x 13”. I pressed under the long edge 1/4” and then 1/2” and then sewed it down. I did that to both pieces.
6. Then I laid my painted fabric face up and laid the two other pieces overlapping on top of that (right side facing the painted fabric). Then I pinned it all in place.
7. Then I sewed all the way around the edge using a 3/8” seam. I clipped the corners and turned it right side out. Then I slipped a 12” x 12” pillow form inside.
Wouldn’t any mom of a new baby love to receive a personalized birth announcement pillow in the color scheme of the baby’s room?
If you would like to make one yourself you can order a custom vinyl or stencil here from Say it on the Wall.
I need to highlight more of Lori Blom’s pillows. She has a ton more than what is sold at Uncommon Goods. She has a truckload of awesome personalized pillows and even a pet line. Go check out her amazing designs at Uptown Artwork.