Today we were challenged in church with the thought, “What wrecks you?”
The passage of Scripture was Nehemiah 1:3-5 “They told me, “The exile survivors who are left there in the province are in bad shape. Conditions are appalling. The wall of Jerusalem is still rubble; the city gates are still cinders.” 4 When I heard this, I sat down and wept. I mourned for days, fasting and praying before the God-of-Heaven.
Nehemiah cried and wept for 3 months over Jerusalem and the sin of the people. He was wrecked. It consumed his thoughts and prayers. He cried, He begged for God’s mercy, he was wrecked over it. This is what wrecks me…
It wrecks me when people go through life in crowded loneliness. People attend church and have billions of people around them yet no one knows who they are. They may sit right next to you in church and they are going through the struggle of their life and no one knows about it.
It wrecks me to see Christian marriages in shambles. The spouses have given up and have become roommates for the sake of the children. They lost their will to fight for something worth fighting for. Neither will take a step forward or admit mistakes because they are so caught up on the injustice done to them by their spouse. It cripples them. It defines them. It becomes who they are.
It wrecks me to know that 20% of the church serve the other 80% . Christians who have known Christ for years but sit in a pew and do nothing to put their faith into action. Christ saved you so you would serve. Or worse, Christians who think they have nothing to offer. God made each of us with unique gifts and talents to be used for His glory in His body.
It wrecks me when I hear of someone who has cancer or a life-threatening disease and yet my life goes on as normal. I feel guilty like they shouldn’t be struggling alone. Like my life should be altered to feel their pain. Like life isn’t fair.
It wrecks me that there are members in my family who don’t know Christ.
It wrecks me when parents stop trying with their children. They realize they have made a mistake but do nothing about it to try to fix it because they think it is too late. Do something for goodness sake, they are your children. Even of they are 20 or 30 or 40. Make it right. Say your sorry, admit you were wrong, make an effort, love when loving them is difficult or they make it difficult.
What wrecks you? What keeps you up at night thinking and praying? Or have you gotten to a place where you don’t get wrecked anymore? You are so numb from life’s blows. I hate to compare it to a country song. But sometimes it is just appropriate.
If youre telling me I’m not on fire
Youre just preaching to the choir
Ive gotten dull as old barbed wire from living
Last night I watched the evening news
It was the same ole nothing new
It should have cut me right in two
But it didn’t I dont know why it didn’t
But I wanna feel somethingg
Something thats a real something
That moves me, that proves to me I’m still alive
I wanna heart that beats and bleeds
A heart thats busting at the seams
I wanna care, I wanna cry, I wanna scream
I just wanna feel something
May we be wrecked over something! May we take the callouses off our eyes and be moved by the injustices around us. And let me take it a step further. Will we do something about what wrecks us? I will.